CONFLICTING STATEMENTS: Russian sources have offered conflicting statements about the failure of two missile launches scheduled last week during a military review by President Vladimir Putin. The exercises were said to include the launch of two RS-54 Skif missiles from the nuclear submarine Novomoskovsk, but it didn't happen. Although news reports cited numerous potential problems as possible culprits, Adm.
The Missile Defense Agency plans to revive efforts to pursue a space-based interceptor missile, according to Defense Department sources. MDA's fiscal 2005 budget request, now before Congress, includes about $10 million for a space-based Kinetic Energy Interceptor (KEI) test bed, the DOD sources told The DAILY late Feb. 19. The money would be used for risk reduction efforts, including concept analysis, war-gaming and initial development and testing of lightweight interceptor components.
The U.S. Defense Department is eyeing more schedule changes for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter to address the aircraft's weight problems, program officials said Feb. 20. The first flight of the Lockheed Martin JSF will be delayed from October 2005 to the spring of 2006, said Air Force Maj. Gen. Jack Hudson, director of the program.
LEGACY FIGHTERS: Despite renewed uncertainty about the future of the next-generation F/A-22 Raptor and F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the U.S. Air Force has no plans to buy more legacy fighters such as the F-15 and F-16, a service spokesman says. The Lockheed Martin F/A-22, which is to succeed the Boeing F-15, faces speculation that it may be cut in the fiscal 2006 budget to save money. Procurement of the Lockheed Martin F-35, which would replace the Air Force's Lockheed Martin F-16s, is being delayed a year due to weight problems with the aircraft.
Due to a rising demand for major military rotorcraft, including re-engining programs, moderately positive sales of aviation turboshafts are projected in the near future despite essentially flat civil turboshaft demand, according to a recent aerospace research group report.
NEW BUSINESS MODEL: The U.S. Department of Defense is moving toward using "balanced score cards" as a governing tool in its organizations, says Air Force Lt. Gen. Harry Raduege, director of the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA). Raduege spoke Feb. 19 at a National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA) luncheon in Falls Church, Va.
BETTER LUCK: Russia's ground-based missile and space forces had better luck last week, with an RS-18 Stiletto missile successfully launched from Baikonur Cosomodrome in Kazakhstan and a Topol-M successfully launched from Russia's Plesetsk Cosmodrome. A Soyuz launcher also delivered the Molniya-class military satellite to orbit.
REASSURANCE: Communities with a large military presence are bracing for a new round of base closures, says Jeff Sagnip, a spokesman for Rep. Jim Saxton (R-N.J.), whose district includes McGuire Air Force Base and Fort Dix and adjoins the district that is home to the Naval Air Engineering Station. Fort Dix was on the closure list in 1988 and 1991, McGuire was on the list in 1993 and the Naval Air Engineering Station was on the list in 1995, Sagnip says, but Saxton and other supporters managed to get the decisions overturned.
DISCOVERY A GO: The space shuttle Discovery will fly mission STS-114 no earlier than March 2005, NASA has decided. NASA's Space Flight Leadership Council pushed back the launch from a previous mid-September 2004 target to allow more time to analyze the shuttle's redesigned external tank for potential foam debris loss, develop the boom camera that will inspect the shuttle for damage in orbit, and assess the condition of the shuttle's Rudder Speed Brake Actuators. The new launch window runs from March 6 to April 18.
Boeing is slowing work on the U.S. Air Force 767 tanker program to accommodate reviews of the controversial lease-buy agreement, and warned that it may cut jobs due to the delay. Beginning Feb. 23, Boeing will slow down the work, President and CEO Harry Stonecipher said in a statement released Feb. 20. Defense Department officials said recently that negotiations between Boeing and the Air Force are suspended until at least May, when the results of four DOD reviews of the deal are due (DAILY, Feb. 6).
Europe's Galileo satellite navigation program is on schedule, the European Commission announced Feb. 20 in a program update. In an official communication to the European Parliament and Europe's Council of Ministers, the commission said the development phase, which extends to 2005, is progressing as planned. "Everything is now in place to be able to move on to the deployment and operation phases in accordance with the planned deadlines ... before the end of the decade" Commission Vice President Loyola de Palacio said in a statement.
Feb. 23 - 25 -- DOD Architectures Conference, Doubletree Hotel, Crystal City, Va. For more information call (800) 882-8684 or go to www.idga.org. Feb. 25 -- 1st National Homeland Security Conference & Expo, Hilton Hotel at Walt Disney World Resort, Orlando, Fla. For more information email [email protected]. March 8 - 9 -- Aviation Week presents European Transport Leaders Conference. Merrill Lynch Headquarters, London. To register go to http://www.aviationweek.com/conferences.
Lockheed Martin is accusing the U.S. Army of providing misleading information about the requirements for its M395 Precision Guided Mortar Munition (PGMM).
NASA will begin launching a series of "Mars testbed" missions in 2011 to pave the way for the eventual human exploration of the planet, according to Orlando Figueroa, director of NASA's Mars Exploration Program Office. NASA's new Office of Exploration Systems will drive the requirements for the missions, Figueroa said. The missions are planned to head for Mars during every launch opportunity, which occurs roughly every two years.
The liftoff of the U.S. Defense Department's experimental TacSat-1 micro-satellite was delayed by about two months mainly because of welding problems with the launch vehicle, according to an industry representative.
The U.S. Department of Defense's future Global Information Grid-Bandwidth Expansion (GIG-BE) program is on track to achieve Initial Operating Capability (IOC) in September, according to Air Force Lt. Gen. Harry Raduege, director of the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA). 100 locations In September, 10 locations will be up and running. By September 2005, all 100 worldwide locations will be activated, Raduege said Feb. 19 at a National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA) luncheon in Falls Church, Va.
House and Senate armed services committee members are expected to return to Washington next week with lawmakers set to critically eye funding requests for military procurement, research, aviation and shipbuilding. The Department of Defense is seeking $401.7 billion for its fiscal year 2005 budget, which includes $74.9 billion for procurement. In the past two weeks, Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld and top military officers have appeared before both panels to answer questions on program and hardware funding.
NASA plans to have a rescue mission prepared and standing by during the next space shuttle flight, STS-114, in case damage is discovered in orbit that makes it impossible for the shuttle to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere.
NEW DELHI - India's Kaveri engine for the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) is entering the final stages of testing in Russia, although India already has ordered 17 F404-GE-IN20 engines from GE Aircraft Engines for the first batch of aircraft. Air force Air Chief Marshal S. Krishnaswamy said Feb. 19 that altitude tests on the Kaveri are progressing well and that it soon would be integrated with the LCA.